Why We Suspended All 200-600L Medical Students – Benue State University | READ MORE


Why We Suspended All 200-600L Medical Students – Benue State University | READ MORE

Management of Benue State University (BSU), Makurdi, has explained why it suspended all of it’s 200- to 600-level medical students.

According to a statement issued on Thursday by the varsity’s Principal Assistant Registrar; Information & Public Relations, Tser Vanger, the students were suspended because they were planning to stage a protest and destroy school properties.

BSU had on Monday, October 30, announced a one month suspension on the affected students, however, the decision received kicks from people.

Reacting, the University management said despite an agreement with the students after a series of meetings, they reneged on the deal they endorsed themselves and resolved to boycott lectures, leaving the management with no choice but to suspend them.

“And in spite of the wide condemnation of the students by their lecturers, they continued holding clandestine meetings and planning to stage a bigger protest and possibly cause destruction.

“Security reports indicated that the students had made contact with external associates to prosecute the next phase of the protest.

“Consequent upon this and the reports emanating from the Security Unit, Students Affairs and Academic Staff of the College of Health Sciences, the Management was left with no option than to suspend the 200- to 600-level students of the College for one month,” the statement read in part

Read the statement below;

“Upon learning about the concerns of the students, the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Tor Iorapuu, delegated the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Administration), Prof Mike Odey, and other management staff to invite them for dialogue.

“The dialogue held, and the only grievance of the students was their demand that 200-level medical students be relocated to Block C and this was appropriately handled.

“The report was to be submitted to the Vice-Chancellor on October 25, the same day the students decided to embark on the demonstration after all assurances were given to them during a meeting the previous day.

“Remaining defiant, the students marched to the Government house where they were addressed by the Commissioners for Health and Information and the Chief of Staff to the Governor, who asked them to list their problems and choose some representatives to speak with the Governor but they refused, insisting that all of them must go in.

“It was at this point that the Governor’s aides and other officials left the students at the Government House Roundabout where the Vice-Chancellor, who had also met them, advised them to return to the campus”.